16 August 2006

The Salad

I haven't come up with any clever name for this salad, so it will have to be something boring like Tomato-Zucchini Salad. It was inspired by Farmgirl's Colors of Summer Salad and it was really good. It's kind of a girly food, and while Frugaldad loves garden tomatoes as much as I do, he wasn't as impressed (because he is a man, and enjoys MEAT with his dinner, not just some sissy salad) I ate it with homemade pita chips, which were also fantastic, and the recipe for those can be found on the America's Test Kitchen website. If you have more zucchini than you know what to do with (even if you're like me and don't let them get past the "small" size) try this out! I used a Yellow Boy tomato and a Celebrity tomato, and they are awesome varieties. I imagine this would also be good with a little onion (but not too much) and with different beans, too.

Tomato-Zucchini Salad
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 small zucchini, diced (unpeeled for color)
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 tbsp fresh basil, sliced in thin strips
1 clove garlic, minced fine or pressed through a garlic press
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)

Mix all ingredients together and let chill for several hours. Serve with pita chips. Makes about 4 cups.

Enjoy! I ate almost all of it myself!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yum that sounds good! This is the first time I've gotten over to your site! I've been anti-computer for a couple weeks. I didn't know you put reciepes on your site, AWESOME!! I'll have to read it more often!
Hope your doing well and enjoying the break from those swimming lessons heat!

Alicia said...

That sounds delicious!! I am going to have to try that!