16 December 2006

Teeny Tiny Bag

Frugalbaby loves to carry around my almost-a-Booga Bag. But she is too short to keep it from dragging on the ground. With the yarn I had leftover, I knit her a tiny replica. (I did the handles differently from the pattern by doing a 3-stitch i-cord instead, and didn't do the flap.) The colors, of course, turned out completely different and I am jealous, because I would love it if my bag looked like this too. I used every last bit of yarn, so there's some frugal knitting for you. Pictures are pre-felting, during blocking (sucker for size comparison), alone after blocking, and with the original bag.



And for my knitting friends who read this--the bag is in stockinette stitch but is bound off with a k2tog bind-off (instructions are in the pattern). The edge doesn't roll at all now that the bag is felted. And the bind-off was really easy, too. (My knitting reference book describes the k2tog bind-off differently but I followed the pattern instructions). My Sophie bag that is done with a basic bind-off still rolls a little, but I did a crocheted bind-off on the second Sophie that I did and it didn't roll as badly. This bind-off is the best so far. The big bag above didn't roll because I did over an inch of seed stitch at the top.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I think it's just darling!

I want to learn to knit... In fact when we were at the store the other day, Brian was asking what the kids could get me for Christmas. I picked up a "learn to knit" book, dropped it off on a shelf a little further up from DH and the kids so that he could say "oh look! lets get this for mom!!!" LOL Can't wait until Christmas so I can *start* learning! ;)

frugalmom said...

You will be hooked. Knittinghelp.com is a great resource when you are ready to jump in!

QueenMeadow said...

That is adorable!!

And I want to learn too. Maybe someday I'll learn to dye my own stuff :)

Lisa said...

I'm surprised FrugalMom doesn't have sheep to make her own wool! I can dream, right? Like you need another thing to do!!!

Totally cute bags!

frugalmom said...

You just wait...Frugaldad really wants sheep. First, he has to finish the fence, then he builds a barn. Then we'll have sheep!

Heidi said...

don't tell me that! I'm terribly jealous!

My chickens live at my parents house even. I don't feel "farm-ish" at all and it's killing me! Now you'll be getting sheep?!?!? Gosh woman! I wanna live your life!!!

frugalmom said...

Want to live through someone else? Try reading Farmgirl's blog (http://foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com/) She has fantastic pictures.